“Our workshops are designed to equip researchers with the instruction and hands-on training they need to comfortably utilize the leading genome-editing technologies in their own labs,” said Helge Bastian, vice president and general manager of synthetic biology at Thermo Fisher Scientific. “As the practice of engineering nucleic acids in-silico, in-vitro and in living cells evolves at a high-speed pace, it is increasingly important for life science professionals to learn about the basics and the newest formats of these high-precision molecular technologies. This will enable them to unravel the underlying mechanisms of normal cellular processes and disease on-set or progression, support the discovery and development of new drugs and enhance biomanufacturing and therapy solutions.”
In Thermo Fisher’s training workshops, participants will attend comprehensive lectures from scientific experts on genome editing and cell engineering. Attendees will also take part in training sessions using the highly efficient CRISPR-Cas9 system and TALEN technology. The workshops include:
- an overview of the principles and use of the CRISPR-Cas9 system and TALEN technology for genome editing;
- experimental design strategies for successful execution of gene editing projects;
- methods to evaluate and validate gene editing efficiency;
- delivery of gRNAs and Cas9 mRNA or Cas9 protein into the cell line using a lipid-based transfection reagent or electroporation to generate a gene knockout;
- how use of TALs as a genome-editing tool can optimally support the knock-in workflow;
- determination of general editing efficiency with a PCR-based DNA mismatch method (Genomic Cleavage Detection Assay) and detection of the SNP change through analysis of fluorescent protein expression;
- an opportunity to connect with experts to design a genome editing experiment.
Participants who have completed the workshop have praised the hands-on work, small group size and knowledgeable trainers. “We’ve heard positive feedback from participants with all levels of genome editing experience,” added Bastian.
Following recent workshops in Carlsbad, Calif., Germany and the UK, and due to strong demand from the scientific community, Thermo Fisher has more than doubled the number of workshops offered and plans to hold courses throughout North America, Europe, the Middle East and Asia. Registrations are limited to eight attendees per class to ensure a rich educational experience. Thermo Fisher Scientific’s CRISPR and TALEN workshops are now open for registration. To register or for more information, visit our website.
About Thermo Fisher Scientific
Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc. is the world leader in serving science, with revenues of $18 billion and more than 55,000 employees globally. Our mission is to enable our customers to make the world healthier, cleaner and safer. We help our customers accelerate life sciences research, solve complex analytical challenges, improve patient diagnostics and increase laboratory productivity. Through our premier brands – Thermo Scientific, Applied Biosystems, Invitrogen, Fisher Scientific and Unity Lab Services – we offer an unmatched combination of innovative technologies, purchasing convenience and comprehensive support. For more information, please visit www.thermofisher.com.
Media Contact Information:
Boston, Mass., USA
To view the original version on PR Newswire, visit:http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/thermo-fisher-scientific-expands-access-to-genome-editing-with-hands-on-workshop-300474186.html
SOURCE Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc.