VANCOUVER, British Columbia, June 13, 2017 —
- Sonus introduces an initiative to bolster enterprise communications security.
- Unique solution combines the complementary strengths of Sonus SBCs and industry leading NGFWs to deliver stronger, seamless security for IP data and real-time communications traffic.
- The solution is designed to reduce the SIP security attack surface by unifying the data and UC security perimeters and facilitate automated and real-time adaptive security provisioning across the enterprise.
Sonus Networks, Inc. (Nasdaq: SONS), a global leader in securing cloud and real-time communications, announced today an initiative that will combine the capabilities of Sonus Session Border Controllers (SBCs) and industry leading next-generation firewalls (NGFWs) to provide a truly unified security perimeter for enterprises. The new solution addresses the growing need for enterprises to secure both IP-based data and SIP-based real-time communications in a cohesive, consistent manner as they migrate to Unified Communications (UC).
Under the current UC security perimeter arrangement, firewalls and SBCs work independently to address data and real-time communications traffic, respectively. This deployment creates natural holes in the enterprise security perimeter that can be exploited during an attack.
In the new unified security perimeter, NGFWs and Sonus SBCs work together by exchanging security context to leverage their strengths and fill these security holes. Sonus SBCs deep understanding of SIP session characteristics can now enable NGFWs to take part in mitigating telephony denial-of-service (TDoS) attacks and theft of service attacks that might have been missed. Similarly, the NGFWs payload scanning ability can help the SBCs blacklist bad actors sending spyware or other malware. By linking the NGFW and SBC platforms at the control-plane level, the unified security perimeter provides a holistic network defense system that makes real-time threat detection and mitigation a reality in both hardware and cloud architectures. This capability becomes increasingly important as enterprises move to cloud or software-defined network (SDN) architectures, where the network perimeter may now be logical rather than physical.
“Enterprises are seeing a rise in UC attacks, many of them designed to shut down contact centers or steal mission critical company data,” said Mykola Konrad, vice president, Product Management and Marketing, Sonus. “By integrating the capabilities of next-generation firewalls with Sonus SBCs and leveraging the automation capabilities of SDN architectures, this new architecture delivers unprecedented security against data exfiltration, TDoS and many other UC threats.”
“The efforts by two of our VNF providers, Sonus Networks and Palo Alto Networks, to support cross VNF service chains is exactly the type of intelligent collaboration we had envisioned when we launched Verizon Virtual Network Services,” said Shawn Hakl, vice president, Business Networking and Security Solutions, Verizon. “The exchange of meta data between virtual functions to allow policy decisions based on complete visibility across the network will provide a level of security for enterprises that is simply not possible with individual point solutions.”
- Visit Sonus at Booth #530 during Palo Alto Networks Ignite 2017 to see a demo of this advanced IP communications security solution for mobile network operators, managed service providers and enterprises.
- A report from IBM’s Security Intelligence group shows cyber-attacks using the VoIP protocol SIP grew in 2016, accounting for over 51% of the security event activity analyzed in the 12 months.
- The Sonus Session Border Controller Portfolio was named a 2016 Network Security Excellence Award Winner presented by INTERNET TELEPHONY.
- Download a copy of Securing Real-Time Communications for Dummies.
- View the on-demand replay of the No Jitter webinar “Your UC Network Will Be Attacked! Get Ahead of the Threat Now.”
- Find out more on how Sonus is improving the security of mobile networks and enterprise networks.
Sonus brings the next generation of Cloud-based SIP and 4G/VoLTE solutions to its customers by securing mission critical traffic for VoIP, video, IM and online collaboration. With Sonus, enterprises can secure and prioritize real-time communications, while service providers can deliver reliable, secure real-time services for mobile, UC and social applications. Sonus offers an award-winning portfolio of hardware-based and virtualized Session Border Controllers (SBCs), Diameter Signaling Controllers (DSCs), Policy/Routing servers and media/signaling gateways. Visit www.sonus.net or call 1-855-GO-SONUS. Follow Sonus on Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn, YouTube and Instagram.
Important Information Regarding Forward-Looking Statements:
The information in this release contains forward-looking statements regarding future events that involve risks and uncertainties. All statements other than statements of historical facts contained in this release are forward-looking statements. Our actual results may differ materially from those contemplated by the forward-looking statements. For further information regarding risks and uncertainties associated with Sonus’ business, please refer to the “Risk Factors” section of Sonus’ most recent annual or quarterly report filed with the SEC. Any forward-looking statements represent Sonus’ views only as of the date on which such statement is made and should not be relied upon as representing Sonus’ views as of any subsequent date. While Sonus may elect to update forward-looking statements at some point, Sonus specifically disclaims any obligation to do so.
Jason Vancura, +1-978-614-8321
To view the original version on PR Newswire, visit:http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/sonus-redefines-enterprise-communications-security-300473547.html
SOURCE Sonus Networks, Inc.