May 17, 2017 (Newswire.com) –
Glenelg High School — it’ a quiet little institution located in rural western Howard County. Nationwide, however, it has become known for a tremendous sound.
For decades now, Glenelg’s band, orchestra, and choir have collectively earned Superior ratings at adjudications and competitions throughout the U.S. and Europe. On April 7-8, this year, the music department once again showcased its immeasurable talent when it swept the OrlandoFest music competition with Superior ratings across the board.
Based in Orlando, Fla., OrlandoFest is a one-of-a-kind festival experience designed for middle, junior high, and high school performers. Competitive and non-competitive bands, orchestras, choirs, and dance groups from across the country are invited to perform for nationally renowned adjudicators in a state-of-the-art performing arts center.
The April 7-8 events were hosted at Olympia High School and William R. Boon High School in Orlando, as well as the Universal Orlando Resort theme park. The fest attracted talents from 10 different schools and 34 performing ensembles who hailed from the East and South Coasts and California.
The Glenelg musicians, under a handful of wonderful directors, claimed a number of top honors, while also serving as exemplary ambassadors for Glenelg High School, Howard County, and the state of Maryland, at large.
Their considerable accomplishments are as follows:
- Symphonic Band: 1st Place, Superior rating/Division AA
- Jazz Ensemble: 1st Place, Superior rating/Division AA
- Glenelg Marching Unit: 1st Place, Superior rating/Division AA Parade
- Glenelg Color Guard: 1st Place, Superior rating/Division AA Indoor Guard
- Glenelg Drill Team: 1st Place, Superior rating/Division AA Dance Team
- Glenelg Marching Unit: Best Overall Parade Champion
- Glenelg Jazz Ensemble: Best Overall Instrumental Ensemble
- String Orchestra: 1st Place, Superior rating/Division AA
- Full Orchestra: 1st Place, Superior rating/Division AA
- Concert Choir: 1st Place, Superior rating/Division AA
- Chamber Singers: 1st Place, Superior rating/Division AA
- Men’s Choir: 3rd Place, Superior rating/Division AA
- Women’s Choir: 2nd Place, Superior rating/Division AA
- Chamber Singers: Best Overall Vocal Ensemble
Outstanding Vocal Soloist
- Kyle Daly
Ross Rawlings, Choral Director
Glenelg High School
Source: Glenelg High School