Hiring Plans and Challenges
According to the report, 21 percent of Houston CIOs plan to bring on more IT talent during the next six months, which is unchanged from the previous report. An additional 62 percent expect to maintain staff levels by filling vacant roles. An active hiring environment is contributing to a competitive market for IT talent: 62 percent of Houston hiring leaders say that it’s somewhat or very challenging to find skilled IT professionals in today’s market.
Factors Leading to Tech Hiring in Houston
When asked what factors are most contributing to local hiring, more than a third (35 percent) of respondents said increased digital marketing initiatives. Other factors impacting tech hiring in Houston include:
- More businesses moving to the area, creating jobs in technology (33 percent)
- Increased big data initiatives (21 percent)
- Increased mobile initiatives (11 percent)
Skills in Demand
According to respondents, the skills in greatest demand within their organizations include:
- Database management (54 percent)
- Desktop support (53 percent)
- Telecommunications support (50 percent)
- Business intelligence/reporting services (50 percent)
- Windows administration (49 percent)
When asked to name their top priority for the next six months, 30 percent of Houston CIOs said they will be focused on maintaining security of IT systems and safeguarding company information. Other priorities will include:
- Upgrading existing systems for business efficiency (22 percent)
- Innovation and helping to grow their businesses (22 percent)
- Staff retention (15 percent)
- Technology innovation and investing in new technologies (10 percent)
About Robert Half Technology
With more than 100 locations worldwide, Robert Half Technology is a leading provider of technology professionals for initiatives ranging from web development and multiplatform systems integration to network security and technical support. Robert Half Technology offers online job search services at roberthalf.com/technology. Visitors can also request a copy of the Robert Half Technology 2017 Salary Guide, which includes a wide range of IT job descriptions.
The survey was developed by Robert Half Technology and conducted by an independent research firm. To ensure that companies from all segments were represented in the study, the sample was stratified by number of employees. Robert Half Technology has been tracking IT hiring activity in the United States since 1995.
To view the original version on PR Newswire, visit:http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/houston-cios-reveal-hiring-plans-for-second-half-of-2017-300477817.html
SOURCE Robert Half Technology