REDWOOD CITY, Calif., June 13, 2017 — Equinix, Inc. (Nasdaq: EQIX), the global interconnection and data center company, today announced a collaboration with Alibaba Cloud, the cloud computing arm of Alibaba Group, to provide enterprises with direct, scalable access to Alibaba Cloud via the Equinix Cloud Exchange™ in the company’s Hong Kong, Silicon Valley, Sydney, and Washington, D.C., International Business Exchange™ (IBX®) data centers, with the addition of Frankfurt and London available soon.
The cloud computing market continues to grow rapidly in Asia, and specifically China. According to the U.S. International Trade Administration, the Chinese cloud market is expected to grow at 40% per year through 2020, reaching $20 billion. Access to Alibaba Cloud is critical for multinational customers looking to expand their cloud-based applications into this growing region in a secure and high-performing manner. By providing multi-national enterprise customers with secure and direct access to Alibaba Cloud, Equinix delivers connectivity to the full suite of Alibaba cloud services to enterprises. Furthermore, Alibaba Cloud Express Connect enables companies to leverage the extensive Alibaba Cloud network in mainland China.
Highlights / Key Facts
- With the addition of direct access to Alibaba Cloud on Cloud Exchange in these new markets across Asia Pacific, EMEA and the Americas, Equinix now offers private access to Alibaba Cloud in five markets. The company previously offered access in its Singapore IBX. Alibaba Cloud is also a colocation customer in Dubai with Emirates Integrated Telecommunications Company PJSC (“du”).
- With 179 data centers across 44 markets around the world, Equinix provides cloud service providers such as Alibaba Cloud with an ideal platform to scale their offerings globally to support growing customer demand. The Equinix Cloud Exchange, which offers direct and private access to multiple cloud service providers, is currently available in 21 markets globally including – Amsterdam, Atlanta, Chicago, Dallas, Frankfurt, Hong Kong, London, Los Angeles, Melbourne, New York, Osaka, Paris, Sao Paulo, Seattle, Silicon Valley, Singapore, Sydney, Tokyo, Toronto, Washington, D.C., and Zurich.
- Greg Adgate, vice president of global technology partners and alliances, Equinix:
“As one of the world’s leading and fastest growing cloud computing companies, Alibaba Cloud represents a significant partnership for Equinix as we continue to empower businesses around the globe to build secure, private clouds, without compromising network and application performance. We are thrilled to offer direct access in markets across the U.S., Asia and Europe, and look forward to bringing additional markets online in the near future.”
- Yeming Wang, deputy general manager of Alibaba Cloud Global:
“The global reach of Equinix Cloud Exchange makes it simple for Alibaba Cloud to access new markets. We are pleased to provide greater value and bring our services closer to enterprises by leveraging Equinix’s powerful, on-demand cloud connectivity, and in particular to provide greater connectivity to the Chinese market.”
- Alibaba Scales Up Global Cloud and Digital Services [blog post]
- Equinix Cloud Exchange Availability Map [graphic]
- More about Equinix Cloud Exchange [website]
Equinix, Inc. (Nasdaq: EQIX) connects the world’s leading businesses to their customers, employees and partners inside the most interconnected data centers. In 44 markets worldwide, Equinix is where companies come together to realize new opportunities and accelerate their business, IT and cloud strategies. http://www.equinix.com/.
Forward Looking Statements
This press release contains forward-looking statements that involve risks and uncertainties. Actual results may differ materially from expectations discussed in such forward-looking statements. Factors that might cause such differences include, but are not limited to, the challenges of acquiring, operating and constructing IBX centers and developing, deploying and delivering Equinix services; unanticipated costs or difficulties relating to the integration of companies we have acquired or will acquire into Equinix; a failure to receive significant revenue from customers in recently built out or acquired data centers; failure to complete any financing arrangements contemplated from time to time; competition from existing and new competitors; the ability to generate sufficient cash flow or otherwise obtain funds to repay new or outstanding indebtedness; the loss or decline in business from our key customers; and other risks described from time to time in Equinix’s filings with the Securities and Exchange Commission. In particular, see Equinix’s recent quarterly and annual reports filed with the Securities and Exchange Commission, copies of which are available upon request from Equinix. Equinix does not assume any obligation to update the forward-looking information contained in this press release.
To view the original version on PR Newswire, visit:http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/equinix-partners-with-alibaba-cloud-to-deliver-greater-cloud-connectivity-300472746.html
SOURCE Equinix, Inc.