COLUMBIA, S.C., June 13, 2017 — One of the Southeast’s most vibrant mid-sized cities, Columbia, South Carolina is home to the longest total solar eclipse on the East Coast for a metro area and will host Total Eclipse Weekend Columbia, S.C., a long weekend of more than 50 eclipse-related festivals and events, from Aug. 18 to 21, 2017. Plan your trip at http://www.totaleclipsecolumbiasc.com.
Dubbed the “Total Eclipse Capital of the East Coast,” where viewers can experience totality for up to 2 minutes and 36 seconds, Columbia, S.C., has been identified as one of the top places in the nation to watch the total solar eclipse by astronomy experts and media such as Fodor’s Travel, USA Today, Forbes, the Washington Post and more: http://totaleclipsecolumbiasc.com/press.
Composed of walkable lifestyle districts with hotels, restaurants, shopping and public art, Columbia, S.C., is the third largest city on the centerline of the “path of totality.” Darkness will fall in Columbia, S.C., at 2:41 p.m. on Monday, August 21. NASA has estimated that South Carolina could see up to 1 million visitors. View a Columbia, S.C. eclipse map.
Highlights from 50+ Columbia, S.C. area eclipse events:
- Large-scale Soda City Eclipse Viewing Festival and Eclipse Eve Drive-In Movie at Historic Columbia Speedway in Cayce, S.C.
- New laser light art installation over Congaree River, “Southern Lights”
- Total Eclipse of the Park – Columbia Fireflies Minor League Baseball game
- S.C. State Museum viewing event w/observatory and appearance by astronaut Charles Duke
- Solar 17 viewing festival at Lake Murray dam
- Paddling on Saluda River during eclipse; 5K; kids’ activities at Saluda Shoals Park
- Ranger-led eclipse hikes in Congaree National Park
- Eclipse viewing/camping at Sesquicentennial State Park
- Historical tours of 12,000 Year History Park in Cayce
- Eclipse viewing party with luxe food & drink at Motor Supply bistro
- Lowcountry Boil & Paella Party at City Roots urban farm
- Solar Fest West with music, food trucks/beer garden at riverfront amphitheater
- Eclipse Tailgate festival w/4,000 parking spaces and urban RV camping at S.C. State Fair
- The Grape Eclipse festival at Mercer Winery
- Family-friendly viewing festival at Robert Mills House & Gardens
- S.C. Philharmonic “Star Wars Musiclipse” concert
- Arts & Draughts party at Columbia Museum of Art
- Eclipse viewing at Riverbanks Zoo & Garden
Social media: @TotalEclipseCAE #TotalEclipseCAE | #RealColumbiaSC
To view the original version on PR Newswire, visit:http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/columbia-sc-hosts-4-day-weekend-of-50-eclipse-events-with-longest-total-eclipse-on-east-coast-300471299.html
SOURCE Total Eclipse Weekend Columbia, S.C.